Hair growth can be stubborn, take its time or sometimes feel as though it is travelling at a glacial pace. If you've made a bold choice and chopped your length dramatically or if your mane has always been a slow grower, speeding up the process is paramount for many at points during their life. Knowing what ingredients to look for, their functions and how they promote hair growth can become akin to unpacking a scientific journal for those less experienced with vitamins and mineral uses. To get you started on your hair growth journey, we've compiled a handy guide on what ingredients to look for and the best hair growth products to shop.
When shopping for a hair growth product, there are a handful of ingredients to look for in the make of the various serums, shampoos or capsules you purchase. These include:
- Biotin: Proven to improve hair loss, particularly in those who may suffer from chronic hair loss conditions.
- Zinc: Zinc is a micronutrient that can help with alopecia.
- Iron: Those with low iron may be more susceptible to hair loss as iron deficiencies can be associated with hair loss. In some cases, iron supplements can help improve hair growth.
- Collagen: Promotes hair and regrowth, and is a go-to ingredient for the health of our skin and hair follicles.
- Niacin: One of the B family of vitamins, Niacin has been shown to help improve the fullness of hair.
- Caffeine: A frequent ingredient in hair growth predicts, Caffeine improves follicle stimulation, particularly when applied topically.
- Ginseng: As ginseng contains saponins as well as gintonin, the ingredient is often employed in an effort to stimulate hair growth and fullness.
If you’re looking to improve hair density, fullness and growth, we’ve rounded up a selection of products known for their bountiful properties in promoting hair growth.
Supporting health hair follicles and growth, Vida Glow’s newest product is all about hair health. The Hairology capsules work to support hair strength while maintaining thickness, ensuring a silky smooth texture is always present.
Naturally derived and with a three-step hair thickening system, Aveda’s Invati Advanced Exfoliaing Shampoo invigorates the hair and scalp with a mixture of Ayurvedic herbs including turmeric and Ginseng.
An innovator from the Kevin Murphy Range, Body Mass uses a mixture of natural ingredients with innovative formulae to transform hair. It employs eyelash growth technology, extends the hair growth period and uses Oleanolic Acid to fortify the toots and hair follicles.
This powerful treatment works to repair hair damage through nourishing and revitalising hair fibres. A concentrated serum, it works to stimulate hair follicles for enhanced growth, alongside active ingredients promoting scalp health.
Available in bottles of 60 or 100 tablets, Swisse’s UltiBoost Tablets contain biotin, zinc and iron to be taken once a day while promoting hair growth and strength.
With an innovative formula using ocean silk technology to promote cell renewal, Sachajuan’s Hair Repair targets hair growth and leaves strands looking silky smooth. Red algae is employed to promote growth alongside wheat protein which prevents moisture loss and breakage.
For those seeking ample nourishment, this organic formula is designed to support health hair growth and promote an energised scalp. Its ingredients include minerals and fatty-acids and is produced using cold-pressed extraction method preserving nutrients.
Working to support healthy hair, JS Health’s Hair and Energy Support is one of the brand’s best-selling items containing vitamins including zinc, one mineral known to promote health hair growth, and iodine which maintains and supports hair replenishment.