If like us, you're one of the many people who are keen followers of Steph Claire Smith and the Keep it Cleaner app, you'll already be well aware that when it comes to killer recipes, there's no shortage of excellent finds. Although Keep it Cleaner might have started as our go-to for endorphin-boosting workouts and advice, it's also now a foolproof destination for healthy, nutritional but undeniably tasty recipe inspiration; and this meatball and mozzarella bake recipe says it all.
Similarly to many of the recipes Steph, Laura and the Keep it Cleaner team share on the app, this cheesy bake is a reminder of the classics. Which sometimes, is what we desperately crave when we're in the mood for a hit of tasty nostalgia. One of 550 recipes on the app, it's also extremely simple to make, and caters for the whole family, or as leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Extremely simple, wholesome and above all delicious, you can find the full recipe for Steph Claire Smith and Keep it Cleaner's meatball and mozzarella bake, below.
Meatball and Mozzarella Bake
150g Sourdough bread
80ml regular milk
500g chicken mince
80g grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
500g KIC Primavera Pasta Sauce
85g shredded mozzarella
200g baby spinach
100g cherry tomatoes
50g red onion
2tb balsamic vinegar
1. Remove crust from bread and break into small pieces. Place in a medium bowl and pour milk on top. Let sit until the bread is soft and hydrated; approximately 3-5 minutes.
2. To a large bowl, add the chicken mince, soaked bread, finely chopped parsley, grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, egg, salt and pepper. Mix together with a fork or your hands.
3. With wet hands, form the mixture into meatballs (approximately 2 tablespoons each) and place on a sheet of baking paper.
4. Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Once hot, add the meatballs, making sure not to crowd the pan, and working in batches if necessary. Cook, turning every minute, until golden brown all over; approximately 3-5 minutes.
5. Once all meatballs are golden brown, add the sauce and top with shredded mozzarella. Cover with a lid or aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove lid/foil and bake for another 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and cheese is golden.
6. Next, prep your side salad by washing your baby spinach, chopping your cherry tomatoes into halves, your cucumber into half moons and dicing your red onion. Combine your ingredients in a salad bowl and dress with balsamic vinegar.
7. Remove your meatballs from the oven and serve with the salad.
To find out more about the Keep it Cleaner program or to discover more of their recipes, head to the official Keep it Cleaner website.